Suffolk GP Federation CIC is a not-for-profit Federation owned by 58 GP practices. As well as supporting its members it provides a suite of services including Out of Hours, ED streaming and Extended Access in Suffolk.
The Federation also directly manages a GP surgery and provides a portfolio of community services.
The Federation was established to enable primary care to ‘work at scale’. We do this by:
- Facilitating practices working together in an open, democratic and transparent way
- Addressing issues which are optimally solved by collaboration (rather than by individual practices)
- Providing a management infrastructure, skills and expertise that an individual practice would find uneconomic to employ
The Federation manages two types of activity:
- Supporting complex service changes including collaboration between groups of practices or the transfer of work from hospitals into the community and primary care
- Leading a Suffolk wide workforce development programme including GP recruitment and retention programmes, support for salaried and locum GPs, practice managers, nurse, administration staffs and allied health professionals
- Delivering services where it is sensible for one organisation to take a management lead
- Support for member practices e.g. organising bulk discounts for medical defence cover
Services for patients – the Federation manages a portfolio of services including:
- Urgent care – extended access and out of hours in Suffolk
- Community services such as ultrasound, community cardiology, community pain and diabetes in North East Essex
- Primary care